The other day, I saw an article on my twitter timeline of a chef, Meryl Rothstein, who tried something out after an attempt to make garlic bread.
“It started when I was making garlic bread. I had more of the garlicky, parsley-flecked butter than I needed, and an imperative not to let it go to waste. Surveying my fridge the next day, I saw some cheddar, a few slices of bread, and that cartoon lightbulb that appears when you’ve had a good idea?.” She says.
What compelled me to make this Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese, more than anything, was the accompanying article image. It looked soooooo good! For those who didn’t see the recipe or the article, I’m here to save your snacking moments, because this is grilled cheese on another level.. a garlic level! It’s heaven at the first bite!
So here goes! My take on it.
PREPARATION TIME: 12 Mins
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped and mashed into a paste) OR crushed garlic
- 1/8th of a teaspoon of salt for taste.
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley
- LOTS of grated white cheddar cheese.
- Mix in the butter with the garlic, olive oil, parsley and salt until it forms a soft garlic butter.
- With a butter knife, swipe the garlic butter on the outer sides of the slices of breads.
- Sprinkle Cheese all over the bread.
- Set the bread out on the grill tray and pop into the oven, 15cm below the heat.
- Turn the sandwich over to brown equally on both sides and to melt the cheese well. Should take about 4 minutes on each side.
Serve. And enjoy!